The Mitsubishi Outlander is a small sport utility vehicle and one of only a few with a hybrid option. Specifically, the Outlander has a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle option, one that gives it a distinct edge over models such as the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. Should you consider an Outlander PHEV? We’ll examine this vehicle and look at the reasons why you may want to buy one.
1. A spacious interior. The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV offers a roomy interior with enough space for five passengers. The battery pack is stored underneath the floor, ensuring enough space inside the vehicle. Importantly, that space is versatile, supplying a whopping 2,209 litres of storage room when the rear seat is folded. To top things off, this PHEV has a 1,500-pound towing capacity. Quite frankly, it does so many things right in a small, efficient package.
2. Multiple safety features. Mitsubishi is a leader in safety and underscores its commitment by including multiple safety features. You’ll find seven airbags in every model. Further, each Outlander comes with a rear backup camera. Some models offer a multi-view camera system, supplying a 360-degree bird’s eye view of the vehicle. Other features include rear cross traffic alert, hill start assist, stability control, electric parking brake, automatic high beam control, blind spot warning with lane change assist, forward collision mitigation with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control. That’s a lot of features available to help keep you and your family safe!
3. A powerful and clean powertrain. Under the hood of the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine. It also has a high-performance generator that transforms engine power into electricity, front and rear motors, and other components to supply power, convert energy and store electricity. The combined power from the engine and electric motor provide enough torque to best a 3.0-litre engine.
4. Different ways to power up. A PHEV means that you have the option of plugging it in to supply electricity to charge the battery. But even when plugging in isn’t an immediate option, you can fill the gas tank and run on fuel. If you use a standard 110-volt outlet, it takes eight hours to charge. Choose a 240-volt outlet and you can get a full charge in 3.5 hours. Some public charge locations provide a quick charge option that is compatible with the Mitsubishi. When connected, you will be able to charge the PHEV to 80 percent of its capacity in just 25 minutes. Enjoy the exceptional 3.2 Le/100km combined range when your PHEV has a full charge.
5. Purchase assistance. At this time, there are no provincial or federal incentives available for the purchase of an electric vehicle for residents of Alberta. That said, you may find special incentives through your employer.
Shop for a PHEV
If you are shopping for a new or used Mitsubishi, stop by West Side Mitsubishi in Edmonton to check out our inventory. We have a large selection of models, including the Outlander PHEV. We are the trusted source in Alberta for all your car shopping needs.